TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER f: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND HIGHWAY SAFETY
PART 515 EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES, TRAUMA CENTER, COMPREHENSIVE STROKE CENTER, PRIMARY STROKE CENTER AND ACUTE STROKE READY HOSPITAL CODE
SECTION 515.945 AIRCRAFT VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS AND OPERATION
Section 515.945 Aircraft Vehicle Specifications and Operation
a) All vehicles shall meet the requirements of subparts A, B, C, and D of Air Taxi Operations and Commercial Operators (14 CFR 135).
b) All vehicles shall have communication equipment to permit both internal crew and air-to-ground exchange of information between individuals and agencies, including at least those involved in SEMSV medical control within the EMS System, the flight operations center, air traffic control and law enforcement agencies. Helicopters must be able to communicate with law enforcement agencies, EMS providers, fire agencies, and referring and receiving facilities.
c) Rotor wing vehicles shall be equipped with a Medical Emergency Radio Communications for Illinois (MERCI) radio.
d) All vehicles shall be designed to allow the loading and unloading of the patient without rotating the patient more than 30 degrees along the longitudinal axis or 45 degrees along the lateral axis.
e) All vehicles shall be climate controlled to prevent temperature extremes that would adversely affect patient care in the judgment of the Medical Director.
f) All vehicles shall have interior lighting to permit patient care to be given and patient status to be monitored without interfering with the pilot's vision.
g) All vehicles shall carry survival equipment including but not limited to:
1) Two sources of heat or fire,
2) Two forms of signaling device,
3) Equipment to provide shelter: blanket, nylon cord and adhesive tape,
4) Knife, and
5) Food and water supply.
h) All patients shall be restrained to the helicopter or fixed-wing aircraft litter to assure the safety of the patient and crew.
i) For helicopter programs:
1) Each rotorcraft shall be powered by at least one turbine engine. There shall be at least one dedicated turbine powered rotorcraft.
2) Each vehicle shall be staffed with at least one EMS pilot and at least one aeromedical crew member for Basic Life Support missions. There shall be two aeromedical crew members for Advanced Life Support and critical care transports, one of whom shall be an R.N. or licensed physician.
3) Each vehicle shall be equipped with flight reference instruments to allow recovery from inadvertent Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) situations.
4) Each vehicle shall be equipped with a searchlight pivoting at least 180 degrees horizontal and 90 degrees vertical, controlled by the pilot without removing hands from the flight controls. The searchlight shall be at least 400,000 candlepower, mounted and operated in accordance with requirements of the Federal Aviation Administration (14 CFR 135).
5) The cockpit shall be isolated by a protective barrier to minimize in-flight distraction or interference.
6) All medical equipment, supplies and personnel shall be secured or restrained.
7) All equipment, litters/stretchers and seating shall be arranged so as not to block rapid egress by personnel or patient from the aircraft and shall be affixed or secured in racks or compartments approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (14 CFR 135) or by straps.
j) For fixed-wing aircraft programs:
1) All single engine fixed-wing aircraft shall be powered by a turbine engine. There shall be at least one dedicated fixed-wing aircraft.
2) Each vehicle shall be staffed with at least one EMS pilot and at least one aeromedical crew member for Basic Life Support missions. There shall be two aeromedical crew members for Advanced Life Support and critical care transports.
3) The aircraft shall be IFR equipped and certified.
4) All equipment, litters/stretchers and seating shall be arranged so as not to block rapid egress by personnel or patient from the aircraft and shall be affixed or secured in approved racks or compartments or by strap restraint.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 16304, effective July 18, 2014)