TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER f: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND HIGHWAY SAFETY
PART 515 EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES, TRAUMA CENTER, COMPREHENSIVE STROKE CENTER, PRIMARY STROKE CENTER AND ACUTE STROKE READY HOSPITAL CODE
SECTION 515.760 TRAUMA NURSE SPECIALIST PROGRAM PLAN
Section 515.760 Trauma Nurse Specialist Program Plan
A Trauma Nurse Specialist (TNS) Program Plan shall contain the following information:
a) The name, address and fax number of the TNS Site Hospital;
b) The name(s) and resume(s) of the TNS Course Coordinator(s) (TNSCC);
c) Current letter(s) of commitment from the following persons at the TNS Site Hospital that describe the commitment of the writer and his or her office to the development and ongoing operation of the TNS Program and that state the writer's understanding of and commitment to TNS Program staffing and educational requirements:
1) The Chief Executive Officer of the hospital; and
2) The Administrative Representative responsible for the TNS program;
d) A letter of commitment from the above administrator that describes the TNS site's agreement to:
1) Be responsible for providing initial TNS education and continuing education per Region needs, including coordinating didactic and clinical experiences;
2) Provide travel and meeting time and expenses; clerical support including access to a computer with word processing and data base management capabilities; audiovisual equipment; printing; and training aides;
3) Ensure that the Department has access to all TNS program records under the authority of the TNS site during any Department inspection, investigation or site survey;
4) Notify the Department of any known changes in TNS personnel;
5) Be responsible for the total management of the TNS Program at that site and collaborative management of the TNS Program with all TNSCCs and the Department;
6) Ensure that a copy of the application for renewal (a form supplied by the Department) is provided to every TNS within the Region (in collaboration with TNSCCs); and
7) Be responsible for compliance with the provisons of Section 515.750 of this Part.
e) The TNS Program Manual that shall be maintained at each TNS site and shall include the following:
1) Education and Training
A) Content and curricula of the TNS educational/certification program including:
i) Entrance and completion requirements;
ii) Program schedules;
iii) Goals and objectives;
iv) Subject areas;
v) Didactic requirements, including skills laboratories;
vi) Clinical requirements;
vii) Testing formats.
B) Continuing education for TNSs including:
i) Recertification requirements (hours, types of programs, etc.);
ii) Site program for TNS participants: types of activities covered (e.g., trauma case review, morbidity and mortality conferences, grand rounds, etc.);
iii) Requirements for approval of academic course work;
iv) Didactic programs offered by the site;
v) Clinical opportunities available within the Region;
vi) Record-keeping requirements for the individual.
C) Renewal Protocols
i) Examination requirements for TNSs;
ii) Procedures for renewal of TNSs;
iii) Submission of transaction cards for TNSs meeting renewal requirements;
iv) Providing Department renewal application forms to TNSs who have not met renewal requirements according to Region records.
D) TNS education and information, including:
i) Distribution of policy and protocol changes;
ii) Methods for communicating updates on site and Regional activities, and other matters of medical, legal and/or professional interest;
iii) Locations of resource materials, forms, schedules, etc.
2) Quality improvement measures should be performed on a semiannual basis and be available upon Department request.
3) Any procedures regarding disciplinary and/or suspension decisions and the review of those decisions that the site has elected to follow in addition to those required by the Act.
4) The responsibilities of the TNSCC, as designated by the Department, including:
A) Curriculum development and maintenance;
B) Creation and maintenance of the program policies and procedures;
C) Planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating the TNS course at that site;
D) Planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating continuing education offerings in their Regions;
E) Maintenance of a TNS data base within their Region to facilitate TNS recertification;
F) Archive TNS training records including: curriculum, handouts, and participant information for minimum of 7 years;
G) Attendance at 75 percent of bimonthly scheduled meetings.
5) All TNS sites in existence upon adoption of this Section shall submit to the Department a revised Program Plan that conforms to requirements of this Part. The Department will approve Program Plans that meet the requirements of this Part.
(Source: Added at 21 Ill. Reg. 5170, effective April 15, 1997)