TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER f: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND HIGHWAY SAFETY
PART 515 EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES, TRAUMA CENTER, COMPREHENSIVE STROKE CENTER, PRIMARY STROKE CENTER AND ACUTE STROKE READY HOSPITAL CODE
SECTION 515.740 EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS REGISTERED NURSE
Section 515.740 Emergency Communications Registered Nurse
a) To be approved as an ECRN, an individual shall:
1) Be a Registered Professional Nurse in accordance with the Nursing and Advanced Practice Nursing Act;
2) Complete an education curriculum formulated by an EMS System and approved by the Department, which consists of at least 40 hours of classroom and practical training for both the adult and pediatric population, including telecommunications, system standing medical orders and the procedures and protocols established by the EMS Medical Director (Section 3.80(c)(1)(B) of the Act);
3) Complete eight hours of field experience supervised by an EMT, only as authorized by the EMS Medical Director; and
4) Complete the ECRN application form as prescribed by the Department.
b) The EMS Medical Director shall approve individuals meeting subsection (a) of this Section as an ECRN for four years.
c) The EMS Medical Director shall reapprove ECRNs every four years if the ECRN:
1) Is a Registered Professional Nurse in accordance with the Nursing and Advanced Practice Nursing Act; and
2) Has completed 32 hours of continuing education in a four-year period.
d) Inactive Status
1) Prior to the expiration of the current approval, the ECRN may request to be placed on inactive status. The request shall be made in writing to the EMS Medical Director and shall contain the following information:
A) Name of individual,
B) Date of approval,
C) Circumstances requiring inactive status,
D) A statement that recertification requirements have been met by the date of the application for inactive status.
2) The EMS Medical Director will review and grant or deny requests for inactive status.
3) For the ECRN to return to active status, the EMS Medical Director must document that the ECRN has been examined (physically and mentally) and found capable of functioning within the EMS System, that the ECRN's knowledge and clinical skills are at the active ECRN level, and that the ECRN has completed any refresher training deemed necessary by the EMS System. If the inactive status was based on a temporary disability, the EMS System shall also verify that the disability has ceased.
4) During inactive status, the individual shall not function as an ECRN at any level.
5) The EMS Medical Director shall notify the Department in writing of the ECRN's approval, reapproval, or granting or denying inactive status within 10 days after any change in an ECRN's approval status.
e) An ECRN shall notify the Department within 30 days after any change in name or address. Notification may be in person, or by mail, phone, fax, or electronic mail.
(Source: Amended at 25 Ill. Reg. 16386, effective December 20, 2001)