TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER f: EMERGENCY SERVICES AND HIGHWAY SAFETY
PART 515 EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES, TRAUMA CENTER, COMPREHENSIVE STROKE CENTER, PRIMARY STROKE CENTER AND ACUTE STROKE READY HOSPITAL CODE
SECTION 515.315 BYPASS STATUS REVIEW
Section 515.315 Bypass Status Review
a) The Department shall investigate the circumstances that caused a hospital in an EMS System to go on bypass status to determine whether that hospital's decision to go on bypass status was reasonable. (Section 3.20(c) of the Act)
b) The hospital shall notify the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Emergency Medical Services, of any bypass or resource limitation decision, at both the time of its initiation and the time of its termination, through status change updates entered into the Illinois Hospital Bypass/State Disaster Reporting System online at www.idphnet.illinois.gov. The hospital shall document any inability to access the System by immediately contacting the State of Illinois Customer Service Center. If a hospital is unable to update the Hospital Bypass System due to internet outage, the hospital shall notify the Department via fax to the Division's Central Office at (217)557-3481.
c) In determining whether a hospital's decision to go on bypass status was reasonable, the Department shall consider the following:
1) The number of critical or monitored beds available in the hospital at the time that the decision to go on bypass status was made;
2) Whether an internal disaster, including, but not limited to, a power failure, had occurred in the hospital at the time that the decision to go on bypass status was made;
3) The number of staff after attempts have been made to call in additional staff, in accordance with facility policy; and
4) The approved Regional Protocols for bypass and diversion at the time that the decision to go on bypass status was made, provided that the Protocols include subsections (c)(1), (2) and (3).
d) For Trauma Centers only, the following situations constitute a reasonable decision to go on bypass status:
1) All staffed operating suites are in use or fully implemented with on-call teams, and at least one or more of the procedures is an operative trauma case;
2) The CAT scan is not working; or
3) The general bypass criteria in subsection (c).
e) The Department may impose sanctions, as set forth in Section 3.140 of the Act, upon a Department determination that the hospital unreasonably went on bypass status in violation of the Act. (Section 3.20(c) of the Act)
f) Each EMS System shall develop a policy addressing response to a system-wide crisis.
(Source: Amended at 37 Ill. Reg. 7128, effective May 13, 2013)