TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 395 LONG-TERM CARE ASSISTANTS AND AIDES TRAINING PROGRAMS CODE
SECTION 395.160 INSTRUCTOR REQUIREMENTS (BNATP ONLY)
Section 395.160 Instructor Requirements (BNATP Only)
a) Requirements for Clinical and Theory Instructors in a BNATP
1) The Department will evaluate each instructor for minimum requirements set forth in this Section and will approve or deny approval of the instructor before the instructor provides program instruction. The Program Coordinator shall submit a request for instructor approval 60 days prior to the first day of the course.
2) Each theory and clinical instructor shall:
A) Be a registered professional nurse with a minimum of two years of nursing experience;
B) Have successfully completed a Department-approved evaluator course prior to initial approval. Registered nurses possessing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree or higher are exempt from this requirement. An RN may not serve as the Program Coordinator or the sole instructor in a BNATP unless the RN has two years of experience teaching in a BNATP or has taken a Train the Trainer course and an approved evaluator course; and
C) Have two years' experience as a registered professional nurse and one year of experience in one of the following areas:
i) Teaching theory in an accredited nurse training program;
ii) Providing nursing care, including personal care and activities of daily living, to older adults or for chronically ill adults; or
iii) One year of experience in the provision of long term care facility services or direct care.
3) Only approved clinical and approved theory instructors shall be used.
4) Each theory course instructor and each clinical instructor shall have completed a Department-approved Train the Trainer program. Registered professional nurses possessing a BSN degree or higher are exempt from this requirement. An RN may not serve as the Program Coordinator or the sole instructor in a BNATP unless the RN has two years of experience teaching in a BNATP or has taken a Train the Trainer course and an approved evaluator course.
b) Requirements for Instructors of the Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias (Section 395.300(i)) portions of a BNATP
1) Each instructor shall meet the Clinical Instructor requirements in subsection (a).
2) Each instructor shall also provide documentation of completion of a Department-approved specialized workshop, course, seminar, continuing education unit, or other approved training for instruction in Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias of at least four hours or four CEU credits. Registered professional nurses who possess a BSN degree or higher are not exempt from this requirement.
c) Requirements for Instructors in a Direct Support Person Training Program
1) The Course Coordinator shall monitor the Direct Support Person Training Program and shall ensure that instructors are qualified and are instructing the program as required, and that the required documentation is maintained.
2) Each classroom instructor shall meet at least one of the following requirements:
A) Be a QIDP with at least one year of experience with developmental disabilities programs and who has successfully completed a DHS-approved QIDP Orientation Training Program;
B) Have a valid Illinois teaching certificate with at least one year of experience with developmental disabilities programs;
C) Be a community college or college instructor with at least one year of teaching experience and familiarization with developmental disabilities programs; or
D) Be a special content instructor with at least one year of experience in his or her field of expertise and with at least one year of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
d) Requirements for Instructors in a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services Aide Training Program
1) Each program instructor shall meet the clinical instructor requirements in subsection (a) for each module taught, approved by the Department of Human Services' Division of Mental Health.
2) Instructors for the Introduction to Mental Illness and Psychiatric Rehabilitation Module and the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Skills Module shall either:
A) Be a community college or college instructor with at least one year of teaching experience and familiarization with programs for individuals with serious mental illness; or
B) Have a bachelor's degree in a mental health-related field or be a certified psychiatric nurse and have at least three years of experience providing services to persons with serious mental illness.
3) Instructors for the Health Care Skills Module shall be a registered professional nurse with a minimum of two years of nursing experience. Instructors shall be required to have one year of experience as an RN in one or both of the following areas:
A) Teaching an accredited nurse training program;
B) Caring for persons with serious mental illness through employment in a residential setting.
e) A Special Content Instructor in an ANATP or BNATP and Direct Support Person Program shall have at least one year experience in his or her field of expertise. These would include, but not be limited to, registered professional nurses, Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professionals, licensed practical nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, social workers, sanitarians, fire safety experts, nursing home administrators, gerontologists, psychologists, physical and occupational therapists, activities specialists, speech/language/hearing therapists, and resident rights experts. (See 42 CFR 483.152(a)(5)(iv).)
f) Only Department- or DHS-DD-approved CPR instruction may be used. A CPR instructor shall provide current documentation of training at the health care provider level or health care provider instructor level from a nationally-recognized program. Documentation of current CPR certification at this level shall be maintained and provided to the Department or DHS-DD.
(Source: Amended at 44 Ill. Reg. 3455, effective February 21, 2020)