TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 395 LONG-TERM CARE ASSISTANTS AND AIDES TRAINING PROGRAMS CODE
SECTION 395.160 INSTRUCTOR REQUIREMENTS
Section 395.160 Instructor Requirements
a) Requirements for Clinical and Theory Instructors in a BNATP
1) The Department will evaluate each instructor for minimum requirements set forth in this Section and will approve or deny approval of the instructor before the instructor provides program instruction. The program coordinator shall submit a request for instructor approval 60 days prior to the first day of the course.
2) Each theory and clinical instructor shall:
A) Be a registered nurse with a minimum of two years of nursing experience;
B) Have no other duties while engaged in the training program;
C) Have successfully completed a Department-sponsored Approved Evaluator Workshop prior to initial approval and complete a Department-sponsored Approved Evaluator Workshop refresher course every five years thereafter;
D) Have one year of experience as a registered nurse in one or both of the following areas:
i) Teaching theory in an accredited nurse training program; or
ii) Providing nursing care, including personal care and activities of daily living, to older adults or for chronically ill adults.
3) Only approved clinical and approved theory instructors shall be used.
4) Each theory course instructor and each clinical instructor shall have completed a Department-approved Train the Trainer program.
5) Each theory instructor and each clinical instructor shall complete a Department-approved Train the Trainer review program every five years.
b) Requirements for Instructors of the Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias (Section 395.300(i)) portions of a BNATP
1) Each instructor shall meet the Clinical Instructor requirements in subsection (a).
2) Each instructor shall also provide documentation of completion of a Department-approved specialized workshop, course, seminar or other approved training for instruction in Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias.
c) Requirements for Instructors in a Direct Support Person Training Program
1) The course coordinator shall monitor the Direct Support Person Training Program and shall ensure that instructors are qualified and are instructing the program as required, and that the required documentation is maintained.
2) Each classroom instructor shall meet at least one of the following requirements:
A) Be a QIDP with at least one year of experience with developmental disabilities programs and who has successfully completed a DHS-approved QIDP Orientation Training Program;
B) Have a valid Illinois teaching certificate with at least one year of experience with developmental disabilities programs;
C) Be a community college or college instructor with at least one year of teaching experience and familiarization with developmental disabilities programs; or
D) Be a special content instructor with at least one year of experience in his or her field of expertise and with at least one year of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities.
d) Requirements for Instructors in a Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services Aide Training Program
1) Each program instructor shall meet the clinical instructor requirements in subsection (a) for each module taught, approved by the Department of Human Services' Division of Mental Health.
2) Instructors for the Introduction to Mental Illness and Psychiatric Rehabilitation Module and the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Skills Module shall either:
A) Be a community college or college instructor with at least one year of teaching experience and familiarization with programs for individuals with serious mental illness; or
B) Have a bachelor's degree in a mental health-related field or be a certified psychiatric nurse and have at least three years of experience providing services to persons with serious mental illness.
3) Instructors for the Health Care Skills Module shall be a registered nurse with a minimum of two years of nursing experience. Instructors shall be required to have one year of experience as a registered nurse in one or both of the following areas:
A) Teaching an accredited nurse training program;
B) Caring for persons with serious mental illness through employment in a residential setting.
e) A Special Content Instructor in a BNATP and Direct Support Person Program shall have at least one year experience in his or her field of expertise. These would include, but not be limited to, registered nurses, Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professionals, licensed practical nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, social workers, sanitarians, fire safety experts, nursing home administrators, gerontologists, psychologists, physical and occupational therapists, activities specialists, speech/language/hearing therapists, and resident rights experts. (See 42 CFR 483.152(a)(5)(iv).)
f) Only Department- or DHS-DD-approved CPR instruction may be used. A CPR instructor shall provide current documentation of training at the health care provider level or health care provider instructor level from a nationally recognized program. Documentation of current CPR certification at this level shall be maintained and provided to the Department or DHS-DD.
(Source: Amended at 37 Ill. Reg. 10546, effective June 27, 2013)