TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 300 SKILLED NURSING AND INTERMEDIATE CARE FACILITIES CODE
SECTION 300.3090 SERVICE DEPARTMENTS
Section 300.3090 Service Departments
1) Provide a kitchen area, not including food storage area, of approximately ten square feet per resident bed; this may be reduced for a facility with 40 or more beds. Any deviation from this requirement must receive approval from the Department. Such approval will only be granted if it can be shown that sufficient space can be provided to meet the needs of the residents. (B)
2) Provide kitchen equipment in an arrangement for convenient operation, good sanitation, healthful working conditions and control of heat, noise, and odors. (B)
3) Provide appropriate equipment for the preparation and serving of meals. (B)
4) Provide refrigeration of perishable foods. (B)
5) The kitchen shall be equipped with a two compartment sink for washing and sanitizing dishes, pots, pans and utensils. A commercial type dishwasher is recommended. (B)
6) The kitchen shall be provided with a handwashing lavatory. (B)
7) The walls and ceilings of all food handling rooms shall be finished with smooth, washable, light-colored surfaces.
8) All openings to the outside shall be effectively screened during fly seasons, and screen doors shall be equipped with self-closing devices; or a satisfactory alternative method.
9) The kitchen shall be located so that no resident must pass through it to reach a bathroom, resident's bedroom, the living room, dining room, or the out-of-doors. (B)
10) Provide approximately two and one-half square feet per patient bed for bulk and daily food storage located in a room convenient to the kitchen.
1) Provide a laundry room equipped with adequate facilities for satisfactorily doing all laundering, unless a commercial laundry service is used.
2) Provide satisfactory and separate areas for soiled holding and sorting and clean linen storage. These may be in the same room if well defined and adequate separation is provided.
3) The laundry facilities shall not be located in a room used by residents, or for food storage, preparation or serving. It shall be located so that soiled linens are not carried through a food handling area to reach it. (B)
1) Provide a total area of approximately seven and one-half square feet per resident bed for the storage area required in this section.
2) Provide adequate storage space for personal possessions of residents and staff, linens, supplies, and other items. This storage shall be such that it does not constitute a fire or accident hazard and will not be in the way of residents or staff.
3) Provide adequate storage space in the facility, out of the way of residents and staff, to store wheelchairs, walkers, and similar equipment temporarily not being used.
4) Provide closets for cleaning supplies, janitor's sinks, linen closets, storerooms for luggage, and furniture replacements.
(Source: Amended at 13 Ill. Reg. 4684, effective March 24, 1989)