TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 225 ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE MANAGEMENT CENTER DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM CODE
SECTION 225.7060 SERVICE DEPARTMENTS
Section 225.7060 Service Departments
a) Dietary facilities shall comply with the Food Service Sanitation Code. Food service facilities may consist of an on-site conventional food preparation system, a convenience food service system, or a combination of the two.
b) The kitchen, consisting of food preparation, cooking and serving areas, shall be approximately 10 square feet per resident bed with a minimum area of at least 200 square feet. It shall be properly located for efficient food service, and be large enough to accommodate the equipment and personnel needed to prepare and serve the number of meals required.
c) The following facilities shall be provided as required to implement the type of food service selected:
1) A control station shall be provided for receiving food supplies.
2) Storage space shall be adequate to provide normal and emergency supply needs, approximately two and one-half square feet per resident bed, for bulk and daily food storage, located in a room convenient to the kitchen.
3) Conventional food preparation facilities systems require space for cooking and baking. Convenience food service systems such as frozen prepared meals, bulk packaged entrees, and individual packaged portions, or systems using contractual commissary service require space and equipment for thawing, portioning, heating, cooking, or baking.
4) Hand-washing facilities shall be located in the food preparation area. Antibacterial soap shall be provided.
5) Residents' meal service facilities shall be provided as required for tray assembly and distribution.
6) Ware-washing space shall be located in a room or an alcove separate from food preparation and serving areas. Commercial dishwashing equipment shall be provided. Space shall also be provided for receiving, scraping, sorting, stacking and loading soiled tableware and for transferring clean tableware to the using areas. A hand-washing lavatory and antibacterial soap shall be provided.
7) Pot-washing facilities shall be located conveniently for washing and sanitizing cooking utensils.
8) Storage areas shall be provided for cans, carts, and mobile tray conveyors.
9) Waste storage facilities shall be located in a separate room easily accessible to the outside for direct pickup or disposal.
10) An office or desk space shall be provided for the dietician or dietary service manager.
11) Toilets shall be accessible to the dietary staff. Hand-washing facilities and antibacterial soap shall be immediately available.
12) A janitors' closet for the exclusive use of the food preparation areas shall be located within the dietary department. It shall contain a floor receptor or service sink and storage space for housekeeping equipment and supplies.
13) Self-dispensing icemaking facilities shall be provided.
14) Adequate can, cart and mobile tray washing facilities shall be provided as required.
d) Linen Service
1) A laundry room with commercial equipment designed to meet the needs of the facility shall be provided unless a commercial laundry service is used.
2) The laundry facilities shall be designed to provide for the processing of linens from soiled linen receiving/sorting through washing, through drying, through clean linen inspection, folding and storage, maintaining a separation between soiled and clean functions.
3) Storage space for laundry supplies and carts shall be provided.
4) If washers and dryers are provided for personal use of residents, they shall be located in a room separate from the facility's laundry room.
e) Housekeeping and Storage
1) Sufficient janitors' closets shall be provided throughout the facility to maintain a clean and sanitary environment. Each shall contain a floor receptor or service sink and storage space for housekeeping equipment and supplies. Space for large housekeeping equipment and for back-up supplies may be centrally located.
2) A total area of approximately 10 square feet per resident bed shall be provided for the storage areas designated in this service department. This does not include closets or wardrobes in residents' rooms. Separate storage space with provisions for locking and security control shall be provided for residents' personal effects that are not kept in residents' bedrooms.
3) Storage rooms for maintenance supplies and yard equipment shall be provided.