TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER b: HOSPITAL AND AMBULATORY CARE FACILITIES
PART 205 AMBULATORY SURGICAL TREATMENT CENTER LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
SECTION 205.710 PREGNANCY TERMINATION SPECIALTY CENTERS
Section 205.710 Pregnancy Termination Specialty Centers
a) A facility will be considered a pregnancy termination specialty center if it meets each of the following conditions:
1) Procedures performed at the facility are limited to procedures to terminate pregnancy performed within 18 weeks assessed gestational age (beginning on the first day of the last menstrual period), and other gynecologic procedures related to the termination of pregnancy. Assessed gestational age may be determined by patient history or by clinical assessment.
2) The facility does not use general, epidural, or spinal anesthesia for any of the procedures performed. If intravenous sedation is used, mechanical ventilation devices and intubation equipment shall be available on site.
3) The program narrative and policies of the facility are limited to the performance of procedures to terminate pregnancy and other procedures related to the termination of pregnancy.
b) The following exceptions and modifications of the requirements of this Part apply to pregnancy termination specialty centers. Pregnancy termination specialty centers shall comply with each of the requirements of this Part, unless specifically excepted or modified by the provisions of this subsection.
1) The initial and renewal application need only include the name, address, and telephone number of all owners, administrators, and medical directors of the facility (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.120(b)(5) through (7) and Section 205.125(b)(5) through (7)). However, the other information required in these provisions shall be maintained at the facility and be available for inspection by the Department. The information shall include the original or notarized copies of credentials of all licensed or certified personnel.
2) Compliance with Section 205.540(d) is not required, if the medical director or a physician practicing at the facility has a professional working relationship or agreement, maintained in writing at the facility and verifiable by the Department, with a physician who does have admitting or practice privileges at a licensed hospital within approximately 15-30 minutes from the facility and who will assume responsibility for all facility patients requiring hospitalization or inpatient hospitalization follow-up care.
3) The administrative and public areas of the facility are not required to comply with Section 205.1350.
4) A separate examination room is not required; however, adequate space shall be provided to accommodate any equipment necessary for examination, to perform examinations safely, and to allow unobstructed ingress and egress to and from the examination area (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1360(a)(1)).
5) Each room in which procedures to terminate pregnancy are performed shall be at least 120 square feet in size with a minimum dimension of at least 10 feet. Exceptions will be made when the facility demonstrates that the room size is adequate to accommodate the equipment required for the procedures, to facilitate the safe performance of the procedures, and to protect the patients and staff in a fire or other emergency (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1360(b)(1)).
6) A communication system between the control station and each procedure room is not required (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1360(b)(3)).
7) No fewer than three recovery beds or lounge chairs shall be required for each procedure room. However, if the facility's narrative program provides that no more than two procedures per hour will be performed per procedure room, then only two recovery beds or lounge chairs will be required for each procedure room. A minimum of 3 feet shall be provided between each recovery bed or lounge chair, and an unobstructed passageway of a minimum of 4 feet shall be provided at one end of each bed or chair (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1360(b)(1)).
8) The recovery area is not required to include a drug distribution station, charting facilities, nurses station, or storage space for supplies and equipment (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1360(d)(2)). However, the facility shall provide for direct visual supervision of the recovery area for all patients.
9) A toilet for patient use shall be in the recovery area, or in a location that does not require patients to enter public areas or other patient care areas to gain access from the recovery area. This toilet shall not be available for public use. A gray diverter valve is not required on the toilet in the recovery area if a means of fluid waste disposal is provided at another location within the facility (in lieu of compliance with Sections 205.1360(d)(3) and 205.1370(f)).
10) A control station for the operating suite is not required (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(a)).
11) A scrub station is not required outside the procedure room, if the procedure room contains a sink with hand-washing capabilities (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(d)).
12) Separate soiled and clean workrooms are not required; however, facilities shall be provided for closed clean storage that prevents contamination by soiled materials, and for storage and handling of soiled linens and other soiled materials. These procedures shall be described in the facility's narrative program (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(e) and (g)).
13) Anesthesia and medical gas storage facilities are not required (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(h) and (i)).
14) A one-way traffic pattern through staff change areas is not required, but space shall be provided for any changing or gowning that is required by the specific procedures that are being performed, in accordance with the facility's narrative program (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(k), (o) and (p)).
15) A change area for patients is not required (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(l)).
16) A separate janitor's closet for the surgical suite is not required if the janitor's closet for the facility is centrally located and contains space for storing supplies needed for cleaning both the surgical and non-surgical areas of the facility (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1370(n)).
17) A minimum corridor width of 5 feet and a minimum door width of 3 feet shall be provided for all corridors and for all doors that are accessible to the public or through which patients may need to be transported in an emergency (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1400(a)(1), (b)(2), and (b)(3)).
18) The requirements of Section 205.1400(d) for flush thresholds and expansion joint covers do not apply.
19) Ceilings in procedure and recovery rooms shall be cleanable, but are not required to be washable (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1400(n)(l)).
20) The requirements for elevators in Section 205.1410 do not apply.
21) Ventilation, air change, and air filter requirements do not apply; however, temperature shall be maintained in the facility between 68 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1540 and Table A).
22) The requirement for one duplex receptacle for each wall does not apply (in lieu of compliance with Section 205.1750(d)).
(Source: Amended at 40 Ill. Reg. 13933, effective September 21, 2016)