TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1380 THE PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING PRACTICE ACT OF 1989
SECTION 1380.230 APPROVED EXPERIENCE
Section 1380.230 Approved Experience
a) Each application shall be reviewed by the Board to determine whether the applicant has shown evidence that his/her professional experience meets the requirements for licensure as described in this Section. All experience shall have been acquired after receipt of the baccalaureate degree except as provided in subsections (a)(3) and (4).
1) Credit for one year of experience shall be given for completion of graduate study resulting in a master's degree in engineering, except as credited under Section 1380.220(d).
2) Credit for two years of experience shall be given for completion of graduate study resulting in a doctor's degree in engineering. The maximum credit for graduate study shall be 2 years, except as credited under Section 1380.220(d).
3) Credit for one year of experience shall be given for a graduate of a university certified cooperative program, which is a supervised industrial or field experience of at least one academic year which alternates with periods of full-time academic training.
4) Credit for professional engineering experience earned PRIOR TO receipt of a baccalaureate degree shall be given if the employment is full-time and if the applicant takes eight or more years to earn the degree as a part-time student, as provided for in Section 8(b)(2) of the Act.
5) Experience shall be under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer or a person legally practicing engineering pursuant to Section 3 of the Act who verifies the number of years during which the applicant was doing work at a professional level, and the manner in which the work prepares the applicant for licensure as a professional engineer.
6) Credit for all necessary experience or any remaining experience shall only be given for actual experience in the practice of professional engineering. Experience shall be within the definition of the practice as set forth in Section 4(o) of the Act and shall require the application of technical knowledge and professional engineering principles. In at least the last two years of experience, the applicant shall have had primary responsibility for the engineering activities.
7) Engineering experience that is structural in nature may only be accepted if the experience is under the supervision of a legally practicing engineer.
8) All experience must be verified and submitted on forms available from the Division.
b) While an applicant may receive either experience credit, education credit or both, he/she may not receive more than one year's total credit for any one year (i.e., overlapping experience and education will be credited to one or the other category but not both).
c) Experience Requirements
1) For a graduate from an approved curriculum
A) To be enrolled as an Engineer Intern, no experience is required.
B) To be licensed as a Professional Engineer, 4 years of acceptable experience is required.
2) For a graduate from a Related Science or non-approved program
A) To be enrolled as an Engineer Intern, 4 years of acceptable experience is required.
B) To be licensed as a Professional Engineer, 8 years of acceptable experience is required.
(Source: Amended at 36 Ill. Reg. 272, effective January 6, 2012)