TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1375 PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR AND CLINICAL PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR LICENSING ACT
SECTION 1375.120 APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION/PERMANENT LICENSURE AS A CLINICAL PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR
Section 1375.120 Application for Examination/Permanent Licensure as a Clinical Professional Counselor
a) Each applicant seeking original licensure under Section 35 of the Act shall file an application with the Division, on forms provided by the Division. The application shall include:
1) The applicant will be required to meet the educational requirements set forth in Section 1375.145(a):
A) Certification of education from a master's degree program or doctoral degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling or psychology from a college, university or school that is a regionally accredited institution of higher education and recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, or certification of education and an official transcript from a similar master's degree or doctoral degree program as defined in Section 1375.145(a). All experience shall meet the experience requirements set forth in Section 1375.130.
B) One year of experience shall be a maximum of 1680 clock hours obtained in not less than 48 weeks. No more than 1680 clock hours may be counted toward one year of experience. Part time experience shall be counted toward the experience requirement.
2) The fee required in Section 1375.205.
3) Certification of licensure, on forms provided by the Division, from the state or territory of the United States in which an applicant was originally licensed and the state in which the applicant predominantly practices and is currently licensed, if applicable, stating:
A) The time during which the applicant was licensed in that jurisdiction, including the date of the original issuance in that jurisdiction;
B) A description of the examination in that jurisdiction; and
C) Whether the file on the applicant contains any record of disciplinary actions taken or pending.
b) Any individual who applies for a clinical professional counselor license after January 1, 2008 shall meet the educational requirements set forth in Section 1375.145(a).
1) Individuals applying for licensure as a clinical professional counselor may submit one of the following certifications (based on examination), in lieu of the documents required in subsection (a)(1):
A) Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRC);
B) Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselors Certification (CCMHC);
2) An applicant submitting one of the certifications listed in this subsection (b) will not be required to take and pass an additional examination administered by the Division. The Division, upon recommendation of the Professional Counselor Licensing and Disciplinary Board (Board), has determined that the education and examination requirements are equivalent to the requirements for licensure as a clinical professional counselor. The Division, upon recommendation of the Board, has determined that individuals who received their CRC certification after January 1992 have been determined to meet the education and examination requirements. Individuals who received a CRC certificate before 1992 will be required to submit an official transcript pursuant to Section 1375.145 in order to evaluate educational requirements. All applicants holding a current CRC certificate shall submit proof of experience.
c) An applicant may begin gaining the required experience upon completion of the degree requirements. Verification of the date of completion of the degree, when different from the date of graduation, shall be certified to the Division by the applicant's educational institution.
d) When the accuracy of any submitted documentation or the relevance or sufficiency of the coursework or experience is questioned by the Division or the Board because of lack of information, discrepancies or conflicts in information given or a need for clarification, the applicant seeking licensure shall be requested to:
1) Provide such information as may be necessary; and/or
2) Appear for an interview before the Board to explain such relevance or sufficiency, clarify information or clear up any discrepancies or conflicts in information.
e) If an applicant has taken and passed the examinations in accordance with Section 1375.150, the applicant shall file an application in accordance with subsection (a) and shall have the examination scores submitted to the Division directly from the testing entity or from the state of original licensure.
(Source: Amended at 35 Ill. Reg. 7586, effective May 13, 2011)