TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1330 PHARMACY PRACTICE ACT
SECTION 1330.560 REMOTE PRESCRIPTION/MEDICATION ORDER PROCESSING
Section 1330.560 Remote Prescription/Medication Order Processing
a) Any pharmacy may provide remote prescription/medication order processing services to any other pharmacy as provided in Section 25.10 of the Act and the following further requirements:
1) Any nonresident pharmacy remote prescription/medication order processing services shall first be registered in its resident state.
2) There shall be a secure, HIPAA compliant, electronic communication system that shall include but not be limited to computer, telephone and facsimile connections.
3) The communication system shall give remote access to all relevant patient information to allow the pharmacist of the remote pharmacy to perform remote medication order processing that shall include all laboratory results and every patient's or resident's medication profile, if appropriate.
4) The secure electronic communication system shall be maintained on a daily basis. If this system malfunctions, the remote processing pharmacy shall cease operations related to the institution affected.
5) Nothing in this Section shall relieve the pharmacist-in-charge of dispensing pharmacies of compliance with Sections 1330.520 and 1330.530.
b) Record Keeping Requirements
1) A policy and procedure manual shall be maintained by the remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy pertaining to the pharmacy's operations. The manual shall:
A) Be accessible to the remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy staff and the staff at the dispensing pharmacy;
B) Be available for inspection by the Division;
C) Outline the responsibilities of the remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy staff and the staff at the dispensing pharmacy;
D) Include a current list of the name, address, telephone number and license number of each pharmacist involved in remote prescription/medication order processing;
E) Include policies and procedures for:
i) Protecting the confidentiality and integrity of patient information;
ii) Ensuring that pharmacists performing remote prescription /medication order processing have access to appropriate drug information resources;
iii) Ensuring that medical and nursing staff when appropriate, understand how to contact a pharmacist;
iv) Maintaining records to identify the name, initials or identification code of each pharmacist who performs any processing function;
v) Complying with federal and State laws and regulations;
vi) Operating or participating in a continuous quality improvement program for pharmacy services designed to objectively and systematically monitor and evaluate the quality and appropriateness of patient care, pursue opportunities to improve patient care, and resolve identified problems;
vii) Reviewing the written policies and procedures and documenting the review annually.
2) Every pharmacist providing remote prescription/medication order processing services shall record on the order, in the computer system, or on another appropriate, unalterable, uniformly maintained and readily retrievable record the following information for every medication order or prescription processed on behalf of a dispensing pharmacy:
A) The name, initials or other unique identifier of the pharmacist who verifies the medication order or prescription;
B) The name of the patient or resident;
C) The name, dose, dosage form, route of administration and dosing frequency of the drug;
D) The date and time of verification;
E) The name of the prescribing/ordering practitioner;
F) Any other information that is required by the dispensing pharmacy being served for use in its own records.
3) The records for medications entered at the remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy must be distinguishable and readily retrievable from those entered at the institution being served.
4) The pharmacist-in-charge of the remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy shall maintain and have access to the following records for a minimum of 5 years:
A) Records of medication orders processed;
B) Records of the electronic communication system maintenance.
5) The remote prescription/medication order processing pharmacy shall maintain a record containing the names and license numbers of all pharmacies to which they are providing services and the number of hours per day the services are being provided.
c) All pharmacists practicing at a remote pharmacy shall be licensed in Illinois. However, when pharmacists are providing remote prescription/medication order processing for a community pharmacy licensed in Illinois from a community pharmacy licensed in Illinois but located out-of-state, only the pharmacist-in-charge of the remote pharmacy must be licensed in Illinois.
d) Only licensed pharmacists at the pharmacy providing remote pharmacy services shall conduct the drug utilization evaluation or review and validation of any order processed within the remote pharmacy, except as provided for in subsection (c).