TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1300 NURSE PRACTICE ACT
SECTION 1300.420 COLLABORATION AND CONSULTATION
Section 1300.420 Collaboration and Consultation
a) A physician licensed to practice medicine in all its branches, or a podiatrist licensed under the Podiatric Medical Practice Act, in active clinical practice may collaborate with an advanced practice nurse in accordance with the requirements of the Nurse Practice Act. Collaboration is for the purpose of providing medical consultation, and no employment relationship is required. A written collaborative agreement shall conform to the requirements of Section 65-35 of the Nurse Practice Act. The written collaborative agreement shall be for services the collaborating physician or podiatrist generally provides to his or her patients in the normal course of clinical medical practice, except as set forth in Section 1300.450 (Delivery of Anesthesia Services by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Outside a Hospital or Ambulatory Surgical Treatment Center). A written collaborative agreement shall be adequate with respect to collaboration with advanced practice nurses if all of the following apply:
1) The agreement is written to promote the exercise of professional judgment by the advanced practice nurse commensurate with his or her education and experience. The agreement need not describe the exact steps that an advanced practice nurse must take with respect to each specific condition, disease or symptom, but must specify those procedures that require a physician's presence as the procedures are being performed.
2) Practice guidelines and orders are developed and approved jointly by the advanced practice nurse and collaborating physician or podiatrist, based on the practice of the practitioners. Such guidelines and orders and the patient services provided thereunder are periodically reviewed by the collaborating physician or podiatrist.
3) The advanced practice nurse provides services the collaborating physician or podiatrist generally provides to his or her patients in the normal course of clinical practice, except as set forth in Section 1300.450. With respect to labor and delivery, the collaborating physician must provide delivery services in order to participate with a certified nurse midwife.
4) The collaborating physician or podiatrist and advanced practice nurse meet in person at least once a month to provide collaboration and consultation.
5) Methods of communication are available with the collaborating physician or podiatrist in person or through telecommunications for consultation, as needed to address patient care needs.
6) The agreement contains provisions detailing notice for termination or change of status involving a written collaborative agreement, except when such notice is given for just cause. [225 ILCS 60/54.5(b)]
b) Licensed dentists may only enter into a written collaborative agreement with a CRNA and the agreement shall comply with Section 65-35 of the Act and Sections 1300.410 and 1300.420.