TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1245 DIETETIC AND NUTRITION SERVICES PRACTICE ACT
SECTION 1245.140 EXPERIENCE
Section 1245.140 Experience
a) A minimum of 900 hours of experience in dietetics as defined in Section 10 of the Act completed within 5 years is required for licensure as a dietitian nutritionist under Section 45 of the Act. The experience shall have been received from a supervisor who, at the time supervision took place, was one of the following:
1) A "registered dietitian" with the Commission on Dietetic Registration;
2) A licensed dietitian nutritionist;
3) A practitioner (such as, but not limited to, a licensed physician or registered nurse) whose license includes nutrition care;
4) An individual with a doctoral degree conferred by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university with a major course of study in human nutrition, nutrition education, food and nutrition, dietetics or food systems management; or
5) An individual who obtained a doctoral degree outside the U.S. and its territories must have the degree validated as equivalent to the doctoral degree conferred by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
b) After January 1, 1996, an individual shall have at least 3 years of experience in dietetics in order to supervise practice experience.
c) Supervised practice experience must be completed in the United States or its territories.
d) The supervisor shall observe, supervise and assess the applicant.
e) The experience must be under direct supervision as defined in Section 1245.10 and documented by the supervisor as satisfactory or better.
f) The supervised experience may be obtained prior to, concurrently or following the completion of the education requirements.
g) The experience shall be completed prior to filing an application with the Department for licensure/examination.
h) The Department, upon recommendation of the Board, has determined that internships approved by the American Dietetic Association meet the experience requirements set forth in this Section.
(Source: Amended at 28 Ill. Reg. 4867, effective March 5, 2004)