TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1175 THE BARBER, COSMETOLOGY, ESTHETICS, HAIR BRAIDING, AND NAIL TECHNOLOGY ACT OF 1985
SECTION 1175.810 PHYSICAL SITE REQUIREMENTS
Section 1175.810 Physical Site Requirements
a) Space Requirements
1) A school shall have a minimum of 1,800 square feet for a maximum of 20 students. An additional 40 square feet is required for each additional student if attendance exceeds 20 on the clinic floor at any given time.
2) The school shall be partitioned to provide for the following areas:
B) Student spa;
D) Two restrooms;
E) Cloak space for the public;
F) Public waiting area;
G) Student lounge area separated from the work area and sufficient space for each student to keep school related and personal items;
H) Storage space;
I) Other areas for school administration;
J) Work stations.
3) All areas of the school shall be ventilated and lighted.
b) Equipment Requirements – All equipment shall be in working condition and sufficient for the number of students enrolled. Minimum requirements for school equipment are:
1) An entrance sign designating the name of the school;
2) A school seal;
3) A time clock or other equipment necessary for verification of attendance and hours earned;
4) A minimum of 5 work stations. Every work station shall include 1 facial chair, 1 steamer, 1 magnification lamp and 1 wood lamp;
5) Every school shall also have 1 set of facial equipment to include manual, mechanical, or electrical apparatus as follows:
B) Vacuum/spray machine;
C) Glass electrode or high frequency current; and
D) Disencrustation machine;
6) Trays for facial supplies;
7) One dry sterilizer per 2 work stations;
8) One facial supply station containing astringents, lotions, creams, makeup and other necessary supplies for facials;
9) A chair for each student in the classroom and, when appropriate, sufficient desk or table space;
10) Adequate covered disposal cans placed at convenient locations;
11) At least one covered container for soiled towels in a work area;
12) Closed or covered space equipped for storing 5 dozen clean towels for every 10 students in the work area; and
13) One head form or chart per class.
c) Sanitary Regulations
1) Clean outer garments must be worn at all times. No open toed shoes shall be worn by students.
2) All instruments shall be sanitized before and after use on each patron.
3) Clean towels shall be used for each patron.
4) Hands must be cleansed before and after serving each patron.
5) After each patron is served, electrical equipment must be sanitized according to manufacturer's specifications. All other equipment should be washed in water and sanitized before use.
6) The head rests of any chair shall be protected with a disposable cover or clean towel and changed after each patron.
7) Non-disposable head coverings must be laundered and sanitized after each separate use.
8) All powders, lotions, creams and other cosmetics shall be kept in clean, closed containers. All cosmetics shall be applied by sanitary applicators and removed from the container with a sanitary spatula.
9) No owner, manager, teacher or school administrator shall knowingly permit any person suffering from a serious communicable disease, as defined in 77 Ill. Adm. Code 690, to work on the premises or knowingly permit a student to serve a patron with a serious communicable disease.
10) No animals or pets, except animal assistants for the physically impaired, shall be permitted on school premises.
11) The floors, walls and furniture shall be kept clean at all times.
12) An adequate supply of hot and cold running water shall be available for school operation.
d) Textbooks/Teaching Materials – Textbooks shall be provided for each student in attendance.
e) Teachers – The student/teacher ratio during clinical instruction shall not exceed a 25 to 1 ratio.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 21098, effective November 7, 2014)