TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1175 THE BARBER, COSMETOLOGY, ESTHETICS, HAIR BRAIDING, AND NAIL TECHNOLOGY ACT OF 1985
SECTION 1175.410 EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS
Section 1175.410 Examination Requirements
a) Examinations shall be administered by the Division or its designated testing service and shall cover subject matter as set forth in Section 3-6 of the Act.
b) The passing grade on each examination is 75.
1) A cosmetology applicant who fails to pass a third examination must submit an official transcript from a licensed cosmetology school showing successful completion of a 250 hour refresher course prior to taking the examination a fourth time.
2) A cosmetology teacher or cosmetology clinic teacher applicant who fails to pass a third examination must submit an official transcript from a licensed cosmetology school showing successful completion of 80 hours of additional study in teaching methodology and educational psychology prior to taking the examination a fourth time.
3) Upon failing the fourth examination, an applicant must submit an official transcript from an approved cosmetology school showing successful repetition of the entire program of training prior to taking the examination a fifth time, or a cosmetology clinic teacher may complete training in an instructor’s institute of 20 hours.
4) The requirement for remedial training set forth in this Section may be waived in whole or in part by the Division upon proof to the Division that the applicant has demonstrated competence to again sit for the examination.
5) For purposes of the examination retakes, the fifth attempt shall count as the first.
6) An applicant shall make a written request for an examination retake at least 45 days in advance of the examination date. Such a request must include the required examination fee and official transcripts when further study is required in accordance with subsections (c)(1), (2) and (3).
(Source: Amended at 30 Ill. Reg. 9503, effective May 10, 2006)