TITLE 59: MENTAL HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
PART 116 ADMINISTRATION OF MEDICATION IN COMMUNITY SETTINGS
SECTION 116.110 ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS
Section 116.110 Administrative Requirements
a) Written policies and procedures shall be developed by each agency that include:
1) Provisions for on-going supervision and monitoring of authorized direct care staff.
2) Provisions for annual review and any necessary retraining of authorized direct care staff in theory and practice of medication administration.
3) Provisions for a systematic review of all medication errors, adverse drug reactions, and incidents to identify contributing factors and plan corrective action.
4) Provisions for recording and reporting of all instances of retraining and retesting for failure to qualify as an authorized direct care staff.
b) Each program shall have written policies and procedures to include the governing of:
1) distribution of medications, including controlled substances, and persons authorized to distribute medications;
2) administration of medications;
3) quality assurance medication review;
4) storage and safekeeping of medications;
5) disposal of medications, including controlled substances; and
6) training, review and any necessary retraining of authorized direct care staff.
c) Policies and procedures shall be consistent with applicable rules, regulations, and federal and State law.
d) Each program shall have a copy of all policies and procedures related to medication on file and readily available to all programs at all times.