TITLE 41: FIRE PROTECTION
CHAPTER I: OFFICE OF THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL
PART 174 GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDERGROUND STORAGE TANKS AND THE STORAGE, TRANSPORTATION, SALE AND USE OF PETROLEUM AND OTHER REGULATED SUBSTANCES
SECTION 174.430 AUXILIARY FUEL TANKS FOR VEHICLES OVER A CERTAIN SIZE
Section 174.430 Auxiliary Fuel Tanks for Vehicles over a Certain Size
a) Auxiliary (additional) fuel tanks of 119 gallons aggregate capacity or less for Class I or II liquids may be added to ½ and ¾ ton (pickup) trucks or larger vehicles to provide added fuel capacity, provided that the tank:
1) is constructed of 18 gauge or heavier steel, or equivalent gauge aluminum;
2) is securely fastened to either the truck bed or frame in such a manner that it will not separate from the vehicle in the event of a collision;
3) is permanently connected to the fuel system of the vehicle in a manner required by any applicable USDOT rules and regulations;
4) is baffled to prevent the sudden shifting of liquid when the vehicle is moving;
5) is electrically bonded to the vehicle frame;
6) is protected against leakage or damage in the event of a turnover;
7) cannot be drained by gravity. Only top mounted pumps designed and labeled for use with flammable and combustible liquids may be used to transfer Class I and II liquids from the tanks to other storage tanks or vehicle fuel tanks. No top mounted pump shall be higher than the highest point of the vehicle or permanently attached appurtenances (i.e., roll bars).
b) Flammable liquid petroleum products being transported on a single vehicle as allowed under this Section may not exceed 119 gallons.
c) Vehicles transporting regulated products under this Section shall also comply with the regulations of the Illinois Department of Transportation regarding that transport.
d) Each tank shall be clearly labeled with the name of the product it contains in letters at least 2" in height and a color contrasting with the background, or placarded in accordance with Illinois Department of Transportation hazardous materials rules (92 Ill. Adm. Code 172).