TITLE 35: ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
SUBTITLE M: BIOLOGICAL MATERIALS
CHAPTER I: POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD
SUBCHAPTER b: POTENTIALLY INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTES
PART 1422 DESIGN AND OPERATION OF FACILITIES
SECTION 1422.123 TREATMENT UNITS
Section 1422.123 Treatment Units
a) A treatment unit must be:
1) Designed and operated to eliminate the infectious potential of PIMW as demonstrated by the Initial Efficacy Test and Periodic Verification Tests, pursuant to Sections 1422.124 and 1422.125 of this Part;
2) Operated according to the manufacturer's instructions, if it is a commercially available unit;
3) Operated under the same conditions that have been used to demonstrate that the infectious potential was eliminated in accordance with this Part;
4) Operated with a PIMW feed rate not to exceed that which was used to demonstrate that the infectious potential was eliminated; and
5) Designed and operated to limit the emission of microorganisms into the air.
b) A treatment unit may be used by the owner or operator of a treatment facility not required to have a permit pursuant to 35 Ill. Adm. Code 1420.105 of this Subtitle, if the requirements of subsection (b)(1) or (2) below are met.
1) The treatment unit meets the standards of subsections (a)(1)-(5) of this Section, and:
A) The treatment unit utilizes a thermal, chemical or irradiation treatment, as defined in 35 Ill. Adm. Code 1420.102 of this Subtitle; or
B) The owner or operator maintains a copy of the Initial Efficacy Test results for the treatment unit. In addition, the owner or operator shall conduct Periodic Verification Tests in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and Section 1422.125. Test results shall be retained and made available for inspection in accordance with Section 1422.125(d) and (g); and
C) The owner or operator retains any notification from the manufacturer of the permitted commercially available treatment unit of a permit modification.
2) The Board has granted the owner's or operator's petition for an adjusted standard pursuant to 35 Ill. Adm. Code 106.Subpart G or a site-specific rulemaking pursuant to 35 Ill. Adm. Code 102. The petition must include a demonstration that the treatment unit meets the standards of subsection (a)(1)-(5) of this Section.
c) For an autoclave, incinerator or ethylene oxide unit installed or operated prior to the effective date of these regulations, an Initial Efficacy Test is not required. The first Periodic Verification Test must be performed within three (3) months of the effective date of these regulations to demonstrate that the infectious potential has been eliminated.
d) For treatment facilities required to have a permit pursuant to 35 Ill. Adm. Code 1420.105 of this Subtitle, the permit application must include, at a minimum, the following information regarding the treatment unit:
1) An operating plan that includes a description of the treatment facility's operating procedures and parameters; and
2) Test data and supporting documentation demonstrating that the infectious potential has been eliminated from either similar existing PIMW treatment units or pilot projects.
e) The treated PIMW is managed in accordance with this Subtitle and 35 Ill. Adm. Code: Subtitle G.