TITLE 35: ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
SUBTITLE M: BIOLOGICAL MATERIALS
CHAPTER I: POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD
SUBCHAPTER b: POTENTIALLY INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTES
PART 1420 GENERAL PROVISIONS
SECTION 1420.105 PERMIT AND MANIFEST REQUIREMENTS AND EXCEPTIONS
Section 1420.105 Permit and Manifest Requirements and Exceptions
a) The permit and permit appeal provisions of Sections 39 and 40 of the Act and Board regulations adopted thereunder apply to this Subtitle.
b) A person who conducts a PIMW transportation operation is required to obtain a PIMW hauling permit from the Agency, except:
1) A person transporting PIMW generated solely by that person's activities; or
2) Noncommercial transportation of less than 50 pounds of potentially infections medical waste at any one time; or
3) The U.S. Postal Service. (Section 56.1(f) of the Act)
c) A person who conducts a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation is required to obtain a permit from the Agency, except:
1) Any person conducting a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation for PIMW generated by the person's own activities that are treated, stored, or transferred within the site where the PIMW is generated; or
2) Any hospital that treats, stores, or transfers only PIMW generated by its own activities or by members of its medical staff. (Section 56.1(g) of the Act) If the transportation of PIMW is interrupted so as not to constitute storage, no permit is required under Section 56.1(g) of the Act. For example, transportation of PIMW interrupted by vehicle repairs or inclement weather does not constitute storage.
d) A person applying for a permit for a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation shall file an application with the Agency in accordance with the requirements and procedures of 35 Ill. Adm. Code 1422.105 through 1422.107.
e) Any person who transports PIMW is required to carry a completed PIMW manifest except for the transportation of:
1) PIMW being transported by generators who generated the waste by their own activities, when the PIMW is transported within or between sites or facilities owned, controlled, or operated by that person; or
2) Less than 50 pounds of PIMW at any one time for a noncommercial transportation activity; or
3) PIMW by the U.S. Postal Service. (Section 56.1(h) of the Act)
(Source: Added at 17 Ill. Reg. 9947, effective June 21, 1993)