TITLE 35: ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
SUBTITLE M: BIOLOGICAL MATERIALS
CHAPTER I: POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD
SUBCHAPTER b: POTENTIALLY INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTES
PART 1420 GENERAL PROVISIONS
SECTION 1420.105 PERMIT AND MANIFEST REQUIREMENTS AND EXCEPTIONS
Section 1420.105 Permit and Manifest Requirements and Exceptions
a) The permit and permit appeal provisions in Sections 39 and 40 of the Act and Board regulations adopted thereunder apply to this Subtitle.
b) A person who transports PIMW must obtain a PIMW hauling permit from the Agency, except:
1) A person transporting PIMW generated solely by that person's activities;
2) Noncommercial transportation of less than 50 pounds of PIMW at any one time; or
3) The U.S. Postal Service. (Section 56.1(f)(1)(A) through (C) of the Act)
c) A person who conducts a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation must obtain a permit from the Agency, except:
1) Any person conducting a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation for PIMW generated by the person's own activities that are treated, stored, or transferred within the site where the PIMW is generated;
2) Any hospital that treats, stores, or transfers only PIMW generated by its own activities or by members of its medical staff. (Section 56.1(g)(1) of the Act) No storage permit is required under Section 56.1(g) of the Act if PIMW transportation is interrupted. For example, transportation of PIMW interrupted by vehicle repairs or inclement weather is not storage.
d) A person applying for a permit for a PIMW treatment, storage, or transfer operation must file an application, on forms provided by the Agency, with the Agency in compliance with 35 Ill. Adm. Code 1422.105 through 1422.107.
e) Any person who transports PIMW must carry a completed PIMW manifest except for the transportation of:
1) PIMW being transported by generators who generated the waste by their own activities, when the PIMW is transported within or between sites or facilities owned, controlled, or operated by that person;
2) Less than 50 pounds of PIMW at any one time for a noncommercial transportation activity; or
3) PIMW by the U.S. Postal Service. (Section 56.1(h) of the Act)
(Source: Amended at 43 Ill. Reg. 10044, effective August 30, 2019)