TITLE 35: ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
SUBTITLE G: WASTE DISPOSAL
CHAPTER I: POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD
SUBCHAPTER c: HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATING REQUIREMENTS
PART 738 HAZARDOUS WASTE INJECTION RESTRICTIONS
SECTION 738.112 WASTE-SPECIFIC PROHIBITIONS: CALIFORNIA LIST WASTES
Section 738.112 Waste-Specific Prohibitions: California List Wastes
a) The hazardous wastes listed in 35 Ill. Adm. Code 728.132 containing polychlorinated biphenyls at concentrations greater than or equal to 50 ppm or halogenated organic compounds at concentrations greater than or equal to 10,000 mg/kg are prohibited from underground injection.
b) The following hazardous wastes are prohibited from underground injection:
1) Liquid hazardous wastes, including free liquids associated with any solid or sludge, containing free cyanides at concentrations greater than or equal to 1,000mg/ℓ;
2) Liquid hazardous wastes, including free liquids associated with any solid or sludge, containing the following metals (or elements) or compounds of these metals (or elements) at concentrations greater than or equal to those specified below:
A) Arsenic or compounds (as As) 500 mg/ℓ;
B) Cadmium or compounds (as Cd) 100 mg/ℓ;
C) Chromium (VI) or compounds (as Cr VI) 500 mg/ℓ;
D) Lead or compounds (as Pb) 500 mg/ℓ;
E) Mercury or compounds (as Hg) 20 mg/ℓ;
F) Nickel or compounds (as Ni) 134 mg/ℓ;
G) Selenium or compounds (as Se) 100 mg/ℓ; and
H) Thallium or compounds (as Tl) 130 mg/ℓ;
3) Liquid hazardous waste having a pH less than or equal to 2.0; and
4) Hazardous wastes containing halogenated organic compounds in total concentration less than 10,000 mg/kg but greater than or equal to 1,000 mg/kg.
c) The requirements of subsections (a) and (b) of this Section do not apply under any of the following circumstances:
1) If the waste meets or is treated to meet the applicable standards specified in Subpart D of 35 Ill. Adm. Code 728; or
2) If the Board has granted an adjusted standard in response to a petition under Subpart C of this Part; or
3) During the period of extension of the applicable effective date, if an extension is granted by USEPA as referenced in Section 738.104.
BOARD NOTE: Derived from 40 CFR 148.12 (2005).
(Source: Amended at 30 Ill. Reg. 4053, effective February 23, 2006)