TITLE 32: ENERGY
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION
PART 335 MEDICAL USE OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
SECTION 335.8210 ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MOBILE REMOTE AFTERLOADER UNITS
Section 335.8210 Additional Technical Requirements for Mobile Remote Afterloader Units
a) A licensee providing mobile remote afterloader service shall:
1) Check survey instruments before medical use at each address of use or on each day of use, whichever is more frequent; and
2) Account for all sources before departure from a client's address of use.
b) In addition to the periodic spot-checks required by Section 335.8170 of this Part, a licensee authorized to use mobile afterloaders for medical use shall perform checks on each remote afterloader unit before use at each address of use. At a minimum, checks must be made to verify the operation of:
1) Electrical interlocks on treatment area access points;
2) Source exposure indicator lights on the remote afterloader unit, on the control console and in the facility;
3) Viewing and intercom systems;
4) Applicators, source transfer tubes and transfer tube-applicator interfaces;
5) Radiation monitors used to indicate room exposures;
6) Source positioning (accuracy); and
7) Radiation monitors used to indicate whether the source has returned to a safe shielded position.
c) In addition to the requirements for checks in subsection (b) of this Section, a licensee shall ensure overall proper operation of the remote afterloader unit by conducting a simulated cycle of treatment before use at each address of use.
d) If the results of the checks required in subsections (b) and (c) of this Section indicate the malfunction of any system, a licensee shall lock the control console in the off position and not use the unit except as may be necessary to repair, replace or check the malfunctioning system.
e) A licensee shall retain a record of each check for mobile remote afterloader units required by this Section for 5 years.
f) The record must include:
1) The date of the check;
2) The manufacturer's name, model and serial number of the remote afterloader unit;
3) Notations accounting for all sources before the licensee departs from a facility;
4) Notations indicating the operability of each entrance door electrical interlock, radiation monitors, source exposure indicator lights, viewing and intercom system, applicators, source transfer tubes, transfer tube applicator interfaces, and source positioning accuracy; and
5) The signature of the individual who performed the check.
(Source: Added at 30 Ill. Reg. 9029, effective April 28, 2006)