TITLE 32: ENERGY
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION
PART 335 MEDICAL USE OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
SECTION 335.7070 CALIBRATION MEASUREMENTS OF BRACHYTHERAPY SOURCES
Section 335.7070 Calibration Measurements of Brachytherapy Sources
a) Before the first medical use of a brachytherapy source on or after October 24, 2006, a licensee shall have:
1) Determined the source output or activity using a dosimetry system that meets the requirements of Section 335.8080 of this Part;
2) Determined source positioning accuracy within applicators; and
3) Used published protocols currently accepted by nationally recognized bodies to meet the requirements of subsections (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this Section. Copies of these protocols shall be maintained on file by the licensee for 5 years after the discontinuation of use of brachytherapy sources.
b) A licensee may use measurements provided by the source manufacturer or by a calibration laboratory accredited by the American Association of Physicists in Medicine or other calibration laboratory approved by the Agency that are made in accordance with subsection (a) of this Section.
c) A licensee shall mathematically correct the outputs or activities determined in subsection (a) of this Section for physical decay at intervals consistent with 1 percent physical decay.
d) A licensee shall maintain a record of the calibrations of brachytherapy sources required by this Section for 5 years after the last use of the source. The record must include:
1) The date of the calibration;
2) The manufacturer's name, model, and serial number for the source, and the instruments used to calibrate the source;
3) The source output or activity;
4) The source positioning accuracy within the applicators; and
5) The signature of the authorized medical physicist.
(Source: Added at 30 Ill. Reg. 9029, effective April 28, 2006)