TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE B: CULTURAL RESOURCES
CHAPTER I: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 3030 THE ILLINOIS LIBRARY SYSTEM ACT
SECTION 3030.230 ADJUSTMENT OF THE GEOGRAPHIC BOUNDARIES OF MULTITYPE LIBRARY SYSTEMS
Section 3030.230 Adjustment of the Geographic Boundaries of Multitype Library Systems
a) The State Librarian may direct the Illinois State Library Advisory Committee to review the geographic boundary in a specific area or the existing geographic boundaries for all multitype library systems, whenever one or more of the following conditions are present:
1) There is new demographic information available from a federal census or other sources.
2) Library systems request that the State Librarian review a shared boundary in a specific area of the State.
3) A change in library or library system management practices, governance, funding or technology significantly impacts one of the factors considered in Sections 3030.225.
4) A public library's boundary crosses a system boundary following annexation or a new public library service area crosses system boundaries.
5) The boundary review is scheduled according to the timeframe mandated in Section 14.5 of the Act.
b) The Illinois State Library Advisory Committee will notify libraries and library systems that would be directly affected by a proposed adjustment of a geographic boundary that the boundary is being reviewed and will provide them with the following information:
1) A general description of the boundary adjustment that is being considered.
2) The effect that the boundary adjustment would have on system membership in the area under review.
3) The criteria from subsection (a) that are used to evaluate the proposed boundary adjustment.
4) The date by which comments on the proposal must be received by the Illinois State Library and the address to which comments must be sent.
5) The date, time and location of the meeting at which the Illinois State Library Advisory Committee will discuss the proposed adjustment to geographic boundaries.
c) Each library and library system in the affected area will be encouraged to submit a statement indicating whether there is agreement with the proposed adjustment of the geographic boundary.
d) The Illinois State Library Advisory Committee will review the information that prompted the proposed adjustment, the comments received from potentially affected libraries and library systems, and any other information provided by the Illinois State Library, and will hold a meeting to discuss the proposed adjustments to geographic boundaries.
e) The Illinois State Library Advisory Committee will make a recommendation to the State Librarian on each suggested adjustment to the geographic boundaries of library systems.
f) The State Librarian shall issue a final decision regarding the proposed boundary adjustment after reviewing the recommendation of the Illinois State Library Advisory Committee and any information presented to the Illinois State Library Advisory Committee in accordance with the criteria set forth in Section 3030.225.
g) The State Librarian shall adjust the area and population of the affected library systems at the beginning of the State fiscal year that commences at least eight months after, but no more than 20 months after, the final decision. The system membership changes will take place at that time or earlier, if the library system gaining the members agrees to provide service earlier.