TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER o: MISCELLANEOUS
PART 650 CHARTER SCHOOLS
SECTION 650.100 APPEALS TO, AND REQUESTS FOR CONSIDERATION BY, THE COMMISSION
Section 650.100 Appeals to, and Requests for Consideration by, the Commission
a) An applicant for a charter or a charter holder may appeal to the Commission a local school board report that denies, revokes or refuses to renew a charter. An applicant for a charter also may submit its proposal to the Commission for consideration in situations in which the local school board fails to act on the proposal within a timely manner. (See Section 27A-8(d) and (e) of the School
Code.) Any appeal or request for consideration shall be submitted to the Commission no later than 30 days after:
1) the date that the school board voted to deny the application; or
2) the date by which the school board was to, but did not, hold a public meeting (see Section 27A-8(d) of the School Code); or
3) the date by which the school board was to, but did not, vote on the charter request (see Section 27A-8(e) of the School Code).
b) The appeal or request for consideration must be submitted electronically to the Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org, with a copy sent by certified mail or electronic mail to the school board.
c) Appeals of School Board Decisions to Deny, Revoke or not Renew a Charter
The applicant, to the extent possible, must state the reasons why the decision of the school board should be reversed.
d) Consideration of Requests Due to Local Inaction
1) The applicant shall state the reasons why the proposal should be granted.
2) The applicant shall list the date the charter school proposal was submitted to the school board for consideration and, if a public meeting was held in accordance with Section 27A-8(c) of the School Code, the date of the public meeting and a statement that the school board failed to vote on the request within 30 days after the meeting being held.
e) The parties shall submit to the Commission any additional information that the Commission determines is necessary to decide the appeal or consider a request submitted due to the local board's inaction.
f) Any appeal or request for consideration not submitted within the applicable deadline specified in subsection (a) shall not be considered, and the Commission shall provide notification to the applicant to this effect.
(Source: Amended at 39 Ill. Reg. 8298, effective May 26, 2015)