TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PERSONNEL
PART 25 EDUCATOR LICENSURE
SECTION 25.442 ILLINOIS TEACHER CORPS PROGRAMS (THROUGH AUGUST 31, 2013)
Section 25.442 Illinois Teacher Corps Programs (Through August 31, 2013)
Section 21-11.4 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/21-11.4] establishes the Illinois Teacher Corps Program to permit school districts, colleges, and universities to enter into collaborative programs to educate and induct qualified professionals into elementary and secondary teaching as a second career. Beginning September 1, 2011, no candidate shall be admitted to an Illinois Teacher Corps Program.
a) Descriptions of Teacher Corps programs shall be submitted by a recognized teacher education institution or institutions, in collaboration with one or more school districts, to the State Superintendent of Education. The Superintendent, in consultation with the SEPLB, shall approve these programs in accordance with the following requirements:
1) The participating teacher education institution must have existing approved programs in the areas for which Teacher Corps programs are proposed.
2) Each Teacher Corps program shall establish the following requirements:
A) Program participants must earn a resident teacher certificate as defined in Section 21-11.3 of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/21-11.3] and must possess the certificate upon entry into the program.
B) Program participants must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with at least a 3.00 out of a 4.00 grade point average or its equivalent.
C) Program participants must:
i) possess a minimum of five years of professional experience in the area in which the candidate wishes to teach; professional experience shall mean experience in the workforce directly related to a teaching field (e.g., five years of professional experience as a chemist would qualify for preparing to teach high school chemistry); or
ii) participate in a one-year teacher preparation internship in a school district, which shall be developed collaboratively by the school district and the institution and approved by the SEPLB.
D) Program participants must pass the test of basic skills required by Section 21-1a of the School Code [105 ILCS 5/21-1a].
E) Program participants must be enrolled in a master's of education degree program approved by the State Superintendent of Education in consultation with the SEPLB.
3) Teacher Corps Program participants must complete a six-week summer intensive teacher preparation program designed by the participating teacher education institution or institutions and the participating school district or districts as the first component of a master's program.
4) Teacher Corps program participants must obtain a passing score on the content-area test required by Section 21B-30 of the School Code by the time of completing the Teacher Corps Program.
5) The participating school district must provide in a written and signed document the following support to Teacher Corps Program participants:
A) a salary and benefits package as negotiated through the teacher contracts,
B) a certified teacher who will provide guidance to one or more candidates under a program developed collaboratively by the school district and the participating teacher education institution, and
C) at least quarterly evaluations of each candidate performed jointly by the mentor teacher and the principal of the school or the principal's designee.
b) Upon successful completion of the master's degree Teacher Corps Program and passage of the assessment of professional teaching (APT) relevant to the endorsement sought, the participant shall be awarded a professional educator license endorsed in the applicable content area and grade levels.
(Source: Amended at 37 Ill. Reg. 8379, effective June 12, 2013)