TITLE 14: COMMERCE
SUBTITLE A: REGULATION OF BUSINESS
CHAPTER I: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 180 UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
SECTION 180.17 FILING AND DATA ENTRY PROCEDURES
Section 180.17 Filing and Data Entry Procedures
a) Errors of the filing office. The filing officer may correct the errors of filing office personnel in the UCC information management system at any time. If the correction occurs after the filing officer has issued a certification date, the filing officer shall file a filing officer correction statement in the UCC information management system identifying the record to which it relates and the date of the correction and explaining the nature of the corrective action taken. The record shall be preserved as long as the record of the initial financing statement is preserved in the UCC information management system.
1) In the case of a data entry error that caused the record in the UCC information management system to be different from the originally submitted document, the record indexed in the management system will be corrected to correspond with the originally submitted record.
2) In the case of an error on the part of the filer that is noticed after a certification date has been issued, the filing office is under no obligation to make the corrections. It is the responsibility of the filer to correct any errors pursuant to Sections 9-511, 9-512 and 9-518 of the UCC [810 ILCS 5/9-511, 9-512 and 9-518].
b) Data entry of names – designated fields. A filing should designate whether a name is a name of an individual or an organization. If the name is that of an individual, the first, middle and last names and any suffix shall be given.
1) Organization names. Organization names are entered into the UCC information management system exactly as set forth in the UCC record, even if it appears that multiple names are set forth in the record, or if it appears that the name of an individual has been included in the field designated for an organization name.
2) Individual names. On a form that designates separate fields for first, middle, and last names and any suffix, the filing officer enters the names into the field, last name first, then first name, middle name, and any suffix in the UCC information management system exactly as set forth on the form.
3) Designated fields encouraged. The filing office encourages the use of forms that designate separate fields for individual and organization names and separate fields for first, middle, and last names and any suffix. Such forms diminish the possibility of filing office error and help assure that filers' expectations are met. However, filers should be aware that the inclusion of names in an incorrect field or failure to transmit names accurately to the filing office may cause filings to be ineffective.
c) Notice of bankruptcy. The filing officer shall take no action upon receipt of a notification, formal or informal, of a bankruptcy proceeding involving a debtor named in the UCC information management system.
(Source: Amended at 31 Ill. Reg. 8559, effective June 15, 2007)