TITLE 8: AGRICULTURE AND ANIMALS
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
SUBCHAPTER d: FEED
PART 200 COMMERCIAL FEED ACT
SECTION 200.25 LABEL FORMAT
Section 200.25 Label Format
a) Commercial feed, other than customer-formula feed, shall be labeled with the information prescribed in this Section on the principal display panel of the product and in the following general format:
1) Net Weight (may be stated in metric units in addition to the required avoirdupois units).
2) Product name and brand name, if any.
3) If a drug is used:
A) The word "medicated" shall appear directly following and below the product name in type size no smaller than one-half the type size of the product name.
B) The purpose of the medication (claim statement).
C) An active drug ingredient statement listing the active drug ingredients by their established name and the amounts in accordance with Section 200.45(d).
4) Directions for use and precautionary statements or reference to their location if the detailed feeding directions and precautionary statements required by Sections 200.65 and 200.75 appear elsewhere on the label.
5) The guaranteed analysis of the commercial feed which shall include the following items, unless exempted in subsection J of this Section, and they shall appear in the order as listed:
A) Minimum percentage of crude protein.
B) Maximum or minimum percentage of equivalent protein from non-protein nitrogen as required in Section 200.45(e).
C) Minimum percentage of crude fat.
D) Maximum percentage of crude fiber.
E) Minerals in commercial feeds shall be listed in the following order:
i) minimum and maximum percentages of calcium,
ii) minimum percentage of phosphorus,
iii) minimum and maximum percentages of salt, and
iv) maximum or minimum percentages of other minerals.
F) Minerals in feed ingredients shall be those as specified by the official definitions of the Association of American Feed Control Officials which is adopted in Section 10 of the Act.
G) Vitamins in such terms as specified in Section 200.45(c).
H) Total percentages of sugars as invert on dried molasses products or products being sold primarily for their sugar content.
I) Viable lactic acid producing microorganisms for use in silages in terms specified in Section 200.45(g).
i) A mineral guarantee is not required when the feed or feed ingredient is not represented as or does not serve as a principal source of that mineral to the animal or where the commercial feed contains less than a total of 6.5% calcium, phosphorous or salt.
ii) Guarantees for vitamins are not required when the commercial feed is neither formulated for nor represented in any manner as a vitamin supplement.
iii) Guarantees for crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber are not required when the commercial feed is intended for purposes other than to furnish these substances relating to the primary purpose of the product, e.g. such as drug premixes, mineral or vitamin supplements, and molasses.
iv) Guarantees for microorganisms are not required when the commercial feed is intended for a purpose other than to furnish these substances relating to the primary purpose of the product, and no specific label claims are made.
6) Feed ingredients or collective terms for the grouping of feed ingredients as required by Section 5(a)(4) of the Act.
A) The common or usual name of each ingredient as defined in the Official Publication of the Association of American Feed Control Officials, which is adopted in Section 10 of the Act.
B) Collective terms for the grouping of feed ingredients as defined in the Official Definitions of Feed Ingredients published in the Official Publication of the Association of American Feed Control Officials may be used in lieu of the individual ingredients provided that:
i) when a collective term for a group of ingredients is used on the label, individual ingredients within that group shall not be listed on the label; and
ii) the manufacturer shall provide the Director, upon request, with a list of individual ingredients, within a defined group, that are or have been used in the commercial feed.
7) Name and principal mailing address of the manufacturer or person responsible for distributing the commercial feed. The principal mailing address shall include the city, state, and zip code.
8) The information required by Section 5(a)(1) through (5) of the Act shall appear in its entirety on one side of the label. The information required by Section 5(a)(6) and (7) of the Act shall be displayed in a prominent place on the label but not necessarily on the same side as the information required by Section 5(a)(1) through (5) of the Act. When the information required by Section 5(a)(6) and (7) of the Act is placed on a different side of the label, it must be referenced on the front side with a statement such as "See back of label for directions for use." None of the information required by Section 5 of the Act shall be subordinated or obscured by other statements or designs.
b) Customer-formula feed shall be accompanied by a label, invoice, delivery ticket, or other shipping document bearing the following information:
1) The name and address of the manufacturer.
2) The name and address of the purchaser.
3) The date of sale or delivery.
4) The customer-formula product name and brand name, if any.
5) The product name and net weight of each registered commercial feed and each other feed ingredient used in the mixture.
6) The directions for use and precautionary statements as required by Sections 200.65 and 200.75.
7) If a product containing a drug is used:
A) The purpose of the medication (claim statement).
B) The established name of each active drug ingredient and the level of each drug used in the final mixture expressed in accordance with Section 200.45(d).
(Source: Added at 16 Ill. Reg. 15889, effective September 30, 1992)